Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sarah Marshall and George T Marshall -- Pioneers



This is one of the many photos I have of Sarah Marshall. She appears with some but not all of her children. The only ones I know for sure are Tryphena second from the left on top and George T. is first on the front next to his mother Sarah. George T. would be my great great grandfather. Sarah Marshall my great great great grandmother. George T. was 5 when his mother brought the children across the plains with the Ellsworth Handcart Company in 1856. Because of sheer determination, Sarah Marshall was the first member of any handcart company to enter the Salt Lake Valley. There is a plaque in her honor on the wall in the basement of the Daughters of the Utah Pioneer Museum in Salt Lake.



During George T. Marshall's life he served in Franklin Idaho as a law officer. If anyone has any more information about this please let me know. The picture above shows what is believed to be his guns he used as a lawman.